Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One of my worst fears realized and survived.

I just had to write this down before I forgot, and also to remind Hali later in life. Last week I was doing dishes in the kitchen when I heard Emery coughing in her chair. Had I been a new mother I would have hopped over there and seen what was the matter. But knowing now that babies just cough sometimes, I didn't think anything of it. Mistake #1. Then, Hali comes around the corner and tells me (in her own unabridged words) "Mommy, she eating! She eating!" Very proud of herself. Putting two and two together very quickly, I run to Emery's bouncer chair to then see her face bright red/ purple. I scoop her out, turn her over and start baby Heimlich when a mouthful of Sun Chips fly out of her mouth. Hali must have gotten down out of her booster chair while mom was in her own dish world and shoved them in her mouth. Mistake #2. Just to remind those Moms and Moms-to-Be out there, babies have that tongue thrust reflex when something is placed in their mouth. Hali had to have pushed it back there for her to choke on it. Yikes. That was one of my worst fears as a mom and I realize now that things like that will happen with an almost 2 year old and a 4 moth old! Hopefully they are few and far between!!
I am happy that Hali loves the heck out of this sister of hers. I have to keep her from hugging her too tight and kissing her so long that Emery can't breathe! I love that she loves her sister. Every morning she gets up and says, "Where's sister? Oh, sister's sleeping! Shhhh!". I love it. I love my girls and I am so blessed to have 2 amazing, happy, healthy, beautiful, sweet girls.

9 comments:

The Titmi said...

Yes normal but SCARY to have to do Heimlech on a baby! Good job staying calm

Metcalf Family said...

I agree with the other comment good job on the quick thinking! And good thing hali was so proud of her sister that she had to come tell you she was eating... Man being a mother is so much more than anyone thinks.. how scary!

Cathy said...

Molly, that would be so scary!!! I'm glad she's ok and that you were able to stay calm through it. I hope I keep this in mind always for when our baby girl comes. I can see Max wanting to share his food too.

larissa said...

I'm glad to hear that those girls have a mom that loves them. You are doing a great job. I don't know if I would know how to do the heimlech. I'm glad you did!

Jami Black said...

Emery is so big! I can't wait to see her. I am so afraid of experiences like these as well!

The Mighty Winstons said...

I'm glad that all is well. Way to be prepared!

Ryan and Rikke said...

I just saw your comment on my blog - thanks! I'm glad to see you're doing well. You're girls are super cute!

Ryan and Rikke said...

Type - your not you're. Sorry.

The Gale Family said...

I think you should just never do dishes again!